History of Saint Mary’s
Founded in 1949, Saint Mary’s High School was first staffed by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and Diocesan priests. The first classes were held in the parish elementary school. The following year, 150 boys and girls continued their studies in the new high school building erected on the campus; later that year the Marist Brothers arrived. We honor our founding principals, Mother M. Annette and Brother Nicholas Mary, who set the foundation of the Saint Mary’s High School education that has guided and served the school for over 60 years.
Through the vision of Monsignor John K. Sharp, pastor (1934-1969) the school facilities expanded as the enrollment increased. A new building was erected and opened its doors in 1959 and was designated as the boys’ school.
During Monsignor John J. Wiest’s years as pastor (1969-1987), extensive renovations took place in both buildings, culminating in the acquisition of property and the construction of a track and athletic field. Under the leadership of Monsignor John J. Skelly, pastor (1987-1998) St. Mary’s renewed its commitment as a coeducational institution and maximized the use of the entire high school complex. The two buildings were appropriately renamed Immaculata and Marist Halls.
From 1998 through 2015, St. Mary’s continued its mission under the pastoral guidance of Monsignor John J. McCann who uniquely held the position as pastor and member of the Class of 1957. Monsignor’s steadfast commitment to Catholic education has enabled the growth of a state-of-the-art infrastructure bringing St. Mary’s to the forefront of technology in Catholic high schools.
Rev. Fr. Robert A. Romeo was installed as the twelfth pastor of the Church of Saint Mary in September of 2015. Fr. Bob passionately believes in Catholic education and the mission of The Schools of Saint Mary. With his renewed vision, planning and steadfast commitment to Catholic education, the students, faculty and administration of St. Mary’s can expect a continuation of academic excellence and the improvement of the facilities to lead St. Mary’s well into the future under his leadership.